Mr English's Class

Just another Edublogs.org site

Should There Be Zoos?

January 3, 2012 by Mr. E · 78 Comments · Greeting

Here is our critical thinking question for Term Two:

Should there be zoos?

You may have an answer in your mind right away. Good. We will poll the class to see where stand at the beginning of our learning.

“No! Zoos are awful! Those poor animals spend all their time in cages.”

“Yes! Zoos are great! They offer a glimpse at creatures from all over the world that we would otherwise never see!”

Over the next few weeks during Reader’s Workshop, we will be reading a text, one argument at a time, to help us answer this question. Don’t be alarmed if you find yourself changing your mind!

78 Comments so far ↓

• sarah

yes there should be zoos it is safer for the animals.

• Mr E

Thanks for the comment Sarah. It will be interesting to see how you feel after we finish the whole book. Keep thinking critically! We will be learning a lot about this topic in Reader’s Workshop. Keep posting and let me know what you are thinking after we read each argument!

• Justin

Zoochosis is horrible, no there shouldnt be zoos.

BUT ONLY FOR NOW.
    Minds change you know.

• coen

i think that zoo are HORRIBLE!!!!! i but for now i could change my mind????

• Emma

I might vote no each time because I think threatning and forcing animals are not treating animals very nicely

• Emma

in the end of the book “Should there be zoos” say whether there should be zoos or no zoos?

• sarah

there should be zoos becausei dont want animals to get extinct

• Mr E

Many people agree with you Sarah. Zoos provide protection from natural predators, protection from hunters, medical care, a steady diet and a habitat free from pollution. For all of these reasons, zoos can help sustain endangered animal populations and prevent extinction.

• sofia

mr. e do you think there should be zoos$

• ronya

NO THERE SHOULD NOT BE ZOOS i think people have zoos because they want money
    and it is not normal for an animal to live in a cage and preform tricks.

• Justin

the last argument was not very strong, I think it was about a 1. There were lots of questions that were not answered in the piece of writing, as you say a slice of swiss cheese with lots of holes in it.

• Justin

I still think that there should not be zoos

• connor

Justin is right that death and disease article was very weak but I think there should still NOT be zoos because zoos are cruel to animals :(

• sarah

Now i’m starting to think there should not be zoos
    -makes animal crazy
    -the animals starve to death
    and there’s lots of other reasons too :) :P :( :D

• Alyse

I dont think there should be zoos !

-it can cause animals to have zoochosis

-animals get abused

- It and if they are kept in captivity to long they can start hurting themselves badly.

• asia batista-wong

Hey Mr.English. I really don’t know if there should be zoos. I keep on changing my mind!!!!! There are some good things about zoos and there are some things that are bad about zoos. Hopefully I will make up my mind at the end of this book!!!!!!

• coen

i think that zoos are bad :( zoochosis and be in cages for the rest of your life!!!!! i would rather die then be in a cage!!!

• connor

zoos are awful!!!!!! these are reasons why:

-being forced to learn tricks

-separated from their natural habitats and families

-diseases! (zoochosis, herpes)

-starvation (only fed 1 or 2 times daily)

• Justin

:p Zoos? Awful? are you kidding me? Zoos do all of these things:

-Prevent extintion.

-Scientific recearch.

-Offer a glimpse of animals from all over the world that we would otherwise never see.

-Protection and care for the animals.

COUNTERARGUMENTS

-In the wild the animals may not get any food, have you considered that?

-If the animals wer in their natrual habitats, they mightve died.

-Most of the diseases are rare.

• Connor

I’m kind of moving to the yes side because there’s a lot of pros and cons for both arguments, I don’t really know what side I’m on now. But I’ll figure it out before the unit’s over.

• Unknown person from div 4 mo

No because they’re trapped and they need freedom and it’s easier to kill animals that way. They don’t get food when they are hungry and many more reason.
    P.S hi :) :*

• Momoko

Hi
    And I think there should not be zoos

• sarah

after we read that article. now i think there should be zoos again

• Emma

I think there shouldn’t be zoos because it brings animals to diseases like zoochosis which causes animals to act differently. Sometimes even causes death. That’s why I voted no for having zoos.

• Hailey

I agree with Sarah. There should totally be zoos! The last couple articles against zoos weren’t very strong and that’s part of the reason I haven’t changed my mind very much. There are so many good things about zoos such as: they provide medical care, protection from natural predators and hunters and use a program called captive breeding to increase endangered animals’ populations. Zoos are also a great way to do research on animals and inform the public about ways we can save them. I don’t believe that they shock and starve the animals in many zoos at all, but I still don’t know if I’ll change my mind again!!

• maya

NO THERE SHOULDN’T BE ZOOS!!! zoos are awful!!! They cause zoochosis which causes animals to go crazy and it can kill the animals!!! Although there are many up sides to zoos. I still think there shouldn’t be zoos.

• Mr E

Very passionate response Maya!

• sophie

I disagree. but I don’t blame you for thinking that. The authors against zoos are exadurating to get your atention. Iv’e been to lots of zoos. All the animals look happy, healthy, and definitly do not have zoochosis. Have you been to the vancouver aquarium? I think so. Ok, i’ll admit it. the dolphins have to do tricks. But have you seen the trainers beating the animals up? Probably not. People don’t want to spend all that money traveling to Africa just to see a lion. even if they do they might not even see one there in the wild. so they can just go to a zoo right there in there own city. Animals get medical care and there are mutch, mutch more reasons why animals should live longer in zoos. That is why i think there should be zoos.

• Hailey

Come on Maya! Think about all the positives!

• sophie

i think there should be zoos because if there wasn’t, many different types of animals would go extinct. You might ask, what do zoos have to do with this? Well, have you ever heard of captive breeding programs? This is how it works: Zoos bring together a male and a female of the same species of animal and force them to breed. After that they are reintroduced to their natural habitat. Also, zoos provide protection for the animals from hunters or other animals. second, zoos provide care and shelter for the animals. next, animals in zoos don’t need to worry about habitat loss. That is why i think there should be zoos.

• sarah

I think there should be zoos. The article “death and disease” and the other one with attacking the animal to train them, i forgot the title. Those are kind of bias. And when i go to zoos, i never see animals bobbing their head and pacing back and forth.

• Hailey

I think your right Sarah I’ve never seen animals bob their head either. I still think there should be zoos and I don’t think I’ll change my mind!

• connorec5

keep zoos!?your kidding I really don’t think there should be zoos because if there were not zoos, then animals won’t die of diseases caused by human meddling or animals won’t die because of zoochosis caused by being in an enclosure for so long. Also, if there were not zoos then they wouldn’t have to suffer from being forced to do entertainment. ZOOS ARE CRUEL!!!!!!!!!!:(

• Andrew

I think there should be no zoos!
    For example…
    .They abuse the animals
    .Make them do tricks
    .Trap them in cages
    .Don’t give yhem the food they usualy get!
    That is why I don’t htink there should be zoos.

• ronya

sarah what about zoochosis I THINK THERE SHOULD NOT BE ZOOS

• sarah

i still think zoos are okay.
      yes, some zoos barely care about the animals, but some zoos give so much space to run around in for the animals. almost as much as farms.
      and some animals are even being saved from extinction because of zoos. i think zoos are okay if the animals are getting proper care.

• sophie

Ronya, have you ever seen an animal in a zoo with zoochosis? Yes, probably not.

• maya

i agree with you Ronya think about it Sarah maybe you’ll change your mind!!!

• emilycarrdiv5

Great debate everyone!! Keep it up!

• asiabebe

should there be zoos? yes! of course there should be,
    they help prevent extinction,
    feed the animals,
    treat them with care or medical care,
    and more!
    but my mind can change……………..

• asiabebe

hey mr.e, my cousin wants to say something to you:
    hey mr. english!i am anneliese. i think this blog is awesome

• benjamin

About Bailee’s comment earlier during readers workshop. Sher the cages are big but what about the size of all the animals in the cages?Imagine if 20 elephants were in a “big” cage it would be cramped.

• maya

i know you think some of the negative things about zoos are not true but what if they are?

• Emma

I thnk there shuln’ be aoos because animals don’t deserve to e taken away from their natural habitat. And what if they don’t want to be in a zoo? But I also do think zoos prevent extinction and makes the animal species population go higher so it’s fifty, firty.

• benjamin

Plus the animals might be getting abused by the visitors to the zoo. For example,a kid might make faces at an animal. Another reason there shouldn’t be zoos is because animals are away from there family. How would you like it to be dragged away from your home just to entertain people who could’ve killed your cousin. I bet you wouldn’t feel very comfortable. Zoos also create zoochosis who would want to see a pour animal suffer like that ?not me. It’s not right to just take an animal out of it’s home the wild and chuck it into a cage with food only 1-2 times a day nothing to drink and no family. Most people are saying ya zoos are great but think about what changes the animals in the zoo had to grow through.If you knew what was going on behind the scenes they might have been abusing the animals to perform or even starving them. Do you know why most animals are sad when you see them in zoos but aren’t in the wild that’s because in zoos they have been away for to long to keep an animal in a zoos for 1 day is even to long. So before you decide yes or no to zoos think about what the animals are going through. There for I do not think there should be zoos.

• matthias

no there should not be zoos. Zoos are teribal. They cause a disease called zoochoisis. They bob there head up and down, tear holes in there skin, turn in never ending circles and don’t even get me started with the elephants they chew the bars of there cage. Also in zoos they hurt the animal to do some wierd old trick just for entertanment. Another thing is that animals can’t use echolocation. Dolphins can’t get there natural exercise. cheetahs can’t run fast or they run into a some sort of bareer. Animals can’t have symbiotis relationship. For example the rihno and the tick bird. Also because zookeepers can’t find the animals food they get the animals different food. Another thing is in zoos animals can starve because they only get feed once a day. That is why zoos are bad.

• benjamin

Your right Matthias zoos do all these things. But my question is why why? do zoos do this? those poor little creatures they don’t get treated right.

• Emma

ya bacause no one exactly knows if they really treat animals badly. but because there is zoochosis, it probably meens the animals don’t like it there and people treat them poorly.

• matthias

Maybe zoos make the animals do tricks to make profit? Also so people want to come to the zoo alot.

• Matthias

Maybe they might want more people to come to the zoo, so zoos make animals do tricks to entertain them and for profit.

• Emma

They probably just want money so they treat the animals “nicely” so the audience won’t see.

• matthias

But zoos are good because they do captive breading programs were they get 2 of the same spiecies ( male and female) and put them together to make more of there kind. Also zoos protect animals natural disasters , pollution , and being hunted. Another thing is that zoos keep the animals cool in extreme heat. For example they have sprinkelers to keep the animals cool. Also they keep animals safe in harsh weather. They keep the animals in shelters witch keep them safe in harsh weather.

• Emma

They are good because They put the animals in captivity and make the animal species population higher. They help injured animals. But on the other hand, animals deserve to be kept in their natural habbitat. They are not always fed properly in zoos too. They have to eat what they need but the zookeepers may not be able to give appropriate food for the animals . The animals don’t have the space to play, run, or do anything they want. That’s why there should and shouldn’t be zoos

• Nargis

Sure zoos keepers give protective care and other things BUT I DON`T CARE!what I care about is animals being FREE! so NO I DON`T THINK THERE SHOULD BE ZOOS!

• sarah

I dont know if this was zoochosis but i saw sea otters pacing back and forth

• connor

NO ZOOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! animals should be free in their natural habitats and not in puny tanks or cages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let animals FREE

• Justin

Unfortunately Connor, if animals weren’t in “puny cages” many animals would be extinct.